Posted by Oxo on

In the Custom Domain Names section is says 'If your registrar is not listed here then try the general instructions above, or you could contact us and we'll see if we can add it!' I'm using Names.co.uk, and our contract with another hosting company runs out at the end of this month. I would like to update namesco with the correct DNS settings asap.

There are many records on Namesco which I would like help with as I don't fully understand them. 

Posted by Joe Oldak on

Hi,

As it happens I have a domain registered with names.co.uk and their setup is pretty easy. The general gist would be:

1. Log in to your account using the button top right of the names.co.uk homepage.
  2. Then go to Control Panel.
  3. In the Services menu go to DNS Administration.
  4. On the right of the page click on the domain name you want to edit.
  5. Set up an A record with www as the host name and address 83.136.248.56 to have your site accessible at www.yourdomain.com.
  6. Optionally also set up another A record with address 83.136.248.56 with a blank host name to have your site accessible at yourdomain.com without the www bit.
  7. Delete any other A or CNAME records for the www host name (and blank host name if you're using that). DO NOT delete any MX or other records - just A and CNAME records. Other records are likely in there on purpose for things like email.
  8. Save the changes and then wait patiently for several hours while the internet updates.

You also need to add your domain into your Voice site settings, using the instructions that you already found in the Voice documentation. (You can do this at any time you don't need to wait until you've updated the DNS on the domain - Voice won't try to use your domain until it has spotted the correct DNS config)

Hope this helps!

Joe