The Victoria History has a list of rectors from 1190 onwards.. This list appears in the short church guide and also with notes in Heysham - a History (Dent). When tithes were in operation the Rector had a considerable income and was sometimes an ‘absentee’ rector. In such circumstances he would employ a paid curate to take services at the church.. On some occasions this also happened when the Rector lived on site in the rectory. A notable absentee rector from 1813-1819 was Thomas Dunham Whitaker (1759 -1821), historian and contemporary of J M W Turner. He wrote A History of Richmondshire (2 volumes). Click here for more information about the book
Another 19th century rector, John Royds, did a great deal to enhance the Church and Rectory . A visitor to Heysham in 1851, John Robson, described St Peter’s as being in a pitiful state. John Royds built the North aisle and rebuilt a door in the previous N wall stone by stone in the churchyard. where it can be seen today. Whilst refurbishing and extending the Rectory he lived at 4 Main Street which is oddly labelled ‘the Manor House’ but has nothing at all to do with any Manor. He had also in 1857 aquired the Old Hall and his son C T Royds refurbished that building in 1887/88..
Rev David Tickner retired from Heysham in November 2013.. Shortly after he arrived in late 1998 he planted a yew tree, presented by the Association, at the entrance to St Peter’s Church together with his predecessor Rev Eric Lacey,
Both David and Eric gave the Heritage Association their full support in many ways and it has been greatly appreciated. David has been succeeded by Rev Andrew Osborn.