The buildings are said to have been a little seaward of the ‘present house of John Hatch’. One person who was rescued is a Mrs Calvert ; in 1838 the house was owned but not occupied by Henry Calvert as above.
In the 1881 census for Heysham, Bay Cottages (2) are listed as ‘uninhabited’.
In the 1901 Trade Directory (W J Cook) of Lancaster District there is a reference to the ‘Pot House Inn’ with the occupier being John Hatch. At some point before a great storm of March 1907 it was converted into two cottages, South Cottage (nearer the village) and Bay Cottage. In the Trade Directory (t T Bulmer) of 1912 (pub.1913) John Hatch is listed as a J P and timber merchant with two addresses at the Harbour (Lancaster?) and South Cottage, Heysham. There is also a John Hatch junior who is head master of St Thomas’ School, Lancaster with an address in Aldcliffe Road, Lancaster. Whether this is a relation of the Heysham John Hatch has yet to be determined.
James David Hatch, 24, son of John and Margaret Hatch of Heysham, is on the Lancaster Military Heritage Group WWI Roll of Honour. He died in August 1918 and is listed in Baldwin Bent’s Roll of Honour ‘Men of Heysham’.
In 2016 our correspondent Sheila Gilbert has told us that one of her two pairs of grandparents rented Bay Cottage during World War 2 with their family and that her own parents were married in St Peter’s Church.
The image below dates from the mid 20th century. This version has been restored by Steve Smith PrintsAlive. The present route of the coastal pathway is slightly different from what you see here. There are also some buildings in the field inshore of the Pot House which were removed prior to the demolition of the house.