HHAlogo2016

Page under construction

Home

Return to Heysham Harbour

Heysham History     Timeline    Images of Heysham     Visiting Heysham
Events    HHA    Making a donation   Heysham Heritage Centre    Publications    Notes and Queries    Pot House

All the material on this page has been adapted  with minor additions, from information, text and images by Captain  Michael Pryce who grew up in Heysham and following a mercantile career retired to New Zealand.
Heysham Oil Jetty by M H & J M Pryce     pdf copy available , click here.. Originally published in World Ship Society's ournal "Marine News" inNovember 1981.

OilJettysideview1

The harbour Oil  Jetty was opened in 1941 to provide a deep water tanker berth outside the  harbour, which large tananker ships would not have been able to access.It endeded outwards from the north wall for about 3000 feet. Oil was pumped on shore via a submerged pipeline to storage tanks on the east side of Moneyclose Lane, largely underground. Following the building of a land pipeline from Tranmere in the Wirral to    Middleton oil refinery this jetty was little used after 1967 and was finally demolished in 1976.

For anyone living in the vicinty of the highest point of Smithy Lane with a view over Half Moon Bay it would dominate the western skyline. Possibly the greatest impact would have been felt by residents of Heysham Tower(s), the Officers training during WWIi and afterwards by the Towers holiday campers.

To the right is an aerial view of the jetty which shows its position relative to the harbour quite precisely.
Construction of the tanker berth began in late 1939 but was delayed on account of the very cold winter; the Bay froze over for the first time in 80 years.The picture below shows two large bell dolphins connected by a deck; the jetty connecting this berth to the north harbour wall can be seen in the background.

DolphinsDeckingLR

A closer view of the south dolphin (right) shows men still working on it probably fitting fenders against whiich the tankers would rest. The dolphin is also clearly capable of rotation on its pile base, which presumably is necessary to allow slight movements of the ship since the berth is in open tidal water and not the selatively still water of a harbour..

The first tanker to berth alongside the jetty wasLL the  LAURENT MEEUS on October 24th 1941 Below is a much later picture showing  Shell tanker HINNITES.. By this time to speed the discharge pipes had been laid along the jetty

OilJettyAerialView
SouthDolphinLR
Shell_tanker_HINNITES_at_Heysham_JettyLR1

Anyone fishing from a boat or sailing in the deeper waters of Heysham Village Bay and Half-moon Bay in the mid 1970s would have noticed two large  rusting   round toppedd steel cylinders in the swell and at least as big as their boat.. They were clearly anchored in place. These were the first parts  (piles) of the oiil jetty to be put in place and the last to go when it was dismantled.. They have now corroded and sunk and are on the sea bed, marked by yellow cardinal buoys.