This is Heysham Lodge on Heysham Head built c.1816 as a private residence by George Wright, one time steward for John Marsden at Hornby Castle. It is now again a private residence but to anyone coming on holiday to this area in the mid 20th century it was an amusement arcade in Heysham Head Pleasure Gar
The postcard photograph left was taken from the Rose Garden which in the Pleasure Gardens was a favourite spot and a venue for frequent concerts. You can read about these and the other attractions in the gardens in Kath Gregson’s childhood memories in the 1940s . Kath also has recorded her memories of Heysham on YouTube, click here to listen to them
The next postcard photograph show a crowded Rose Garden all listening to the performance - the performers cannot be seen, they are off the picture bottom right. The rose garden probably predated the the Pleasure Gardens which were opened in 1926 by Septimus Wray followed by his son Fred Wray until 1964.
A section of the 1931 Ordnance survey map is also pictured with Heysham Lodge shaded green and the Rose Garden outlined in red with the performers stage at the bottom. The long drive to the area from the village can be seen at the top right of the map and at the village end of the drive is the Gatehouse.
Alongside the Heysham Head poster from the Visitor newspaper below is an image, restored by Steve Smith PrintsAlive, of the start of Barrows Lane showing the entrance to the Pleasure Gardens from the village. The line of horse drawn carriages are waiting to take visitors to Half Moon Bay.