This 1848 OS map of north Heysham illustrates how the vast majority of Heysham parish was then open land with farms and lanes, mostly with names, some of which are still in use. in one form or another.
Click here for a larger version of the map.
Mears Beck for example (near top centre) seems to be a name for an area; one oan see Mearsbeck Cottage below and right at the top Mearsbeck foot. On the Tithe Schedule (1838) the names of many of the fields in this area had Mearsbeck ( or Meresbeck) in them, e.g. Mearsbeck meadow or Mearsbeck hill. Today Mearsbeck is the name of a tower block of flats and there is also a Mearsbeck Close. Are Mearsback Cottage and Swordifsh Hall the same building? OS use one name and the Tithe Map has the other,
There was no Heysham Road where it is now in this area; the route south from the Old Mill and the other cottages at Mearsbeck Foot is Sandy Lands Lane which was roughly along the line where Sandylands Promenade is today. On the seaward side of Sandy Lands Lane there appear on the map to be dunes called not surprisingly Sandy Lands.
Sandy Lands Lane came down the coast to just short of where Grosvenor Road is today. From there appears to be a path across fields joining up with Cross Lane (now Heysham Road) just short of Cross Cop, the high point of that area. Mears Beck Cottage and Crows Dubs farm are in what is now Dalton Road and from there Bone Mill Lane (not labelled as such on this map, but now part of Fairfield Road) curved round to Lordsome House, another farm. The curved lines on the map here and elsewhere are the primitive form of Ordnance Survey height contours (used by OS from 1843 onwards). From Lordsome House Winter Lane (also now Fairfield Road) led to Winterend Farm on the site of what is now Tibicar Filling Station.
Cross Lane connected Cross Cop with Four Lane Ends (and another farm). South from there Heysham Road was Overtown Lane. The old name for the first section of Oxcliffe Road was called Tibicar Lane; many of the fields around there had names involving ‘Tibicar’ and the biggest one was Great Tibacre. This would seem to be used nowhere else in this country; it would be interesting to know its derivation. The old road names were mostly lost in the 1920s development of this area of Heysham but some fortunately survive in other usage.