HHAlogo2016

Home

Heysham History    Timeline    Images of Heysham     Visiting Heysham
HHA    Heysham Heritage Centre  Volunteering  Notes and Queries   Publications    The Cottage    Kids    Restoration          

This page consists a list of people, places, events, buildings etc concerned with the history of Heysham to enable users to navigate around the website.. All have one or more links to pages in this website or elsewhere on the internet.
Links to those pages of this website will also occur elsewhere in the form of cross references. Links to pages in this website are indicated in bold blue type.

People:

The Heysham Historians page records a few notable contributors to the chronicling of Heysham’s historu.
One obvious aim of the Association is to promote the history of Heysham and equally obviously we are just continuing a theme pursued by many before us.
The celebrated eminent historian of his day  Thomas Dunham Whitaker was Rector of Heysham from 1813-1819..During his rectorship The renowned English landscape painter J M W Turner visited Heysham to mae sketches for his watercolour Heysdham and Cumberland Mountains
 Heysham has a nationally known artist William Woodhouse; a biography about him has recently been published - Accolade to an Artist by Pam Corder-Birch. Two previously unknown paintings by him have recently surfaced in Canada  and latterly one on Yorkshire..
 Like any village Heysham has some well known characters - read about two of them Polly Blacow and Jake Edmondson.. Heysham is well known for ‘nettle beer’ and one of its original suppliers was  Granny Hutchinson.
 Thomas John Knowlys had Heysham Tower built and he and his family for a short period in the 19th century had a considerable influence in Heysham.                                        
            .

Places

The most well known place in Heysham is St Peter’s Church, more than 1000 years old
The rock cut graves are Heysham’s oldest recognizable historic site adjacent to St Patrick’s Chapel
The
Heritage Centre: this was a principle aim of  Heysham Heritage Association  when it was founded in 1990. It is housed in a listed building a 17th century longhouse (cottage and barn) owned and converted by the   Heritage Trust for the North West .                    
Heysham Harbour (opened 1904) brought a remote agricultural and fishing community abruptly into the industrial age. . For a shorty period the harbour had its own ‘Mission’ Church which was part of the Parsih of Heysham and eventually became known as St Andrew’s.
On the new railway line to Heysham Harbour a station at  Middleton Road had a very short life.
Huge numbers of workers were needed to build the railway and harbour and these men and their families were accommodated in two temporary ‘villages’ Klondyke and Dawson City
From 1926-1964 
Heysham Head was the site of Pleasure Gardens and very popular with visitors and residenrs.  
The first Pleasure Gardens in Heysham were the 
Strawberry and Pleasure Gardens on Heysham Road.
Heysham Road  between Cross Cop and Strawberry Gardens is an example of ribbon development between 1925 and 1935 .

Events

J M W Turner visited Heysham in August 1816 and made sketches which were the basis of his watercolour (1818) Heysham and Cumberlamd Mountains
The Heysham Tithe Map: dated 1838 following the Tithe Commutation Act of 1836 which replaced tithes in kind to payments of money.             
The wreck off  Heysham Harbour  is of the sailing ship 
SV Vanadis in 1903 when a gust of over 100 mph was recorded during the construction of the harbour
In World War One 1914-1918:
Heysham Rectory became an Auxiliary Hospital at which local volunteers played a notabke part.
 Also in World War One in 1917 a
huge explosion occurred at a munitions factory   on White Lund.

In World War Two an attempt was made to bomb the refinery at  Midddleton which produced fuel for Spitfires.  

Morecambe Bay has its share of  storms at sea like the one which wrecked the SV Vanadis. In 1894 the worst tragedy in terms of losss of life occurred in 1894 with the loss of the yacht  Matchless on a holiday trip to Silverdale.                                       
                                                                                                                            

Buildings

St Peter’s Church and the rock cut graves by St Patrick’s Chapel have already been mentioned.
Greese Cottageis a listed buildingknown as the Old Rectory; it was built during the second half of the 17th century when William Ward was rector.
The Royal Hotel  according to local tradition was built in 1502 as a grain store. No evidence has so far been found  to substantiate this traditionh.
Heysham Tower was a distinctive private residence built in the 19th century, but when the railway came to Heysham and the harbour it first was converted to a hotel for the Midland Railway and finally   a popular holiday camp..
During World War Two the holiday camp was requiisitioned by the military chiefly as a Training Unit for Officers,  
OCTU .                                                           
Carr Garth is a listed building in Heysham with an interesting history.       
                                                                                  
The most northerly place in the old Heysham parish was  The Battery. The first Battery hotel was built about 1862/3
 In addition to well known historic buildings there are some curiosities; the  
Pot House in the village bay was one such.

Ancestry

We frequently hear from people tracing their ancestors in Heysham. The way in which two of our volunteers were able to help a visitor recently is recorded here.                                                                                                                                                                         A remarkably detailed ancestry type website containing much about Heysham is http://shissem.com/Index.html